Friday 28 March 2014

AAR - Early War - Japanese Hohei Chutai V Soviet Light Tankovy Batalon - Break Out

Ben came round to mine for a game, it's was my first go in Early War and naturally my first stab with Japanese.

Following a discussion on WWPD forum with Mike and Eric we had already decided the mission would be Breakout. I had laid the table out with just hills and crops, which is quite light in terms of terrain but hopefully a bit more realistic than Western European houses.

In Breakout the defender chooses a short table edge. I was defending because Light Tankovy's always attack trumps my always attack. We both place an objective and then I decide on 2 full infantry platoons, and 1 platoon of tanks, to defend with. In reserve is another 2 platoons of tanks and the Regimental Gun platoon.

Please forgive the unpainted tanks - hiding in the middle of the crops.

3rd Japanise Division
  • HQ with Regimental Banner
  • Full Infantry Platoon
  • Full Infantry Platoon
  • 3 Type-89 Tanks
  • 3 Type-89 Tanks
  • 3 Type -89 Tanks
  • 2 Type-41 75mm Guns
Soviet Light Tanks
  • HQ T-26
  • 8 T-26 + Rear MG
  • 8 T-26
  • 8 T-26
  • 10 KhT-26
  • 6 BT-7a
  • 5 DshK AA Guns
  • Sporadic I-153
Generated by WWPD's BatRepper Software.


My 2ic banner bearer guy is within reach of all 3 platoons, to lend some auto motivation passing goodness around. Ben deploys... well a lot of tanks!
Youch that's a lot of tanks.
The attacker has first turn so Ben move's up MG'ing the dug in Japanese just managing the 6 hits needed to pin them.

In my turn I attach the banner to one team auto un-pinning them and the CinC attaches to the other fearlessly unpinning.

I also got my first reserve turn up, I roll a 1 so measure 16" down the side to get side shots.
Scattered reserves arrive
Ben reminds me about hip shot (re-roll misses <16") 2 bails
I target the flame tanks, better chance of a kill and dangerous to my infantry
Can anyone spot the deliberate mistake?  My tanks are at long range, we hadn't realised that their gun's rnage is only 16", so I should have move forward and hip shot...we let it lie as we both know what's coming.

Ben's second turn, most tanks move forward, the slightly reduced platoon move behind a hill so my reserve can't shoot em up anymore (smart move).  A platoon of T26s turn back to deal with the reserve Chi-Ro's.
Moving about
I rolled well for armour saves (2 hits on each) 1 dead 2 bailed
Not so many hits, thanks to H&Cs and cover and I escape quite lightly

My turn and it's decision time, my tanks can't take his T26s on and it's only a matter of time.  Also those flame tanks are about to BBQ a platoon...it's time to do what I do best, out of the foxholes and CHARGE!
Up and at em
Tank unbails and they move up to take shots at the flamers, only 1 is in range though
Two attempts to get through the defensive fire, leaves the platoon decimated.  2 Nikuhaku teams carry on the fight thanks to human bullet.  They Promptly blow themselves up and I think manage a bail.
Well that was spectacularly underwhelming
Ben promptly moves up and flames them.
My suicidal charge turns into just that, well one of them fearlessly runs away.
Moving to grab the objective
Another assault
2 dead tanks, 2 bailed
To make things more interesting Ben assaults on my right flank.  2 guys die and despite having the CinC re-roll I fail to counter attack.  Human bullet means the Nikuhaku teams stick around and of course all blow themselves up.  

In my turn I assault, them. Ben manages 6 hits, so they bounce and I have another go.  This time I'm in.  I do no damage, but capture those 2 bailed tanks as Ben's platoon confidently break's off.
Line up for the charge, leaving some room for tanks to shoot
and bounce...
Another go, capture the 2 bails and chase off that platoon (They pass their motivation check)
Consolidate into cover...gotta finish off that platoon
Ben grabs the objective and kills a Chi-Ro
He MGs up the remaining infantry
My reserves had come on last turn, and Ben attempts to plane them...Ben and planes don't mix IMHO
Ben smells blood and goes for it, 2 stands die and the tanks end up breaking off
Shooting at reserves (sorry, that's an objective marker that's jumped out of Ben's dice tin)
Ben kindly points out that I forgot to move my tank to contest the objective...I'm a bit meh about it, but do it anyway.
I continue to chase the platoon, hoping for a victory point.
Remaining tank fearlessly runs away
Reserve tanks go down to a hail of fire, and my guns (proxied by FJ artillery teams) pop a single tank
One last attempt at that VP
The remaining guy leaving me with the CinC, it's Ben's turn and he has the objective secured.  6-1 to Ben.

Youch, Japanese tanks/guns are really short range...this list needs night attack, without it, it's just too soft.  The Nikuhaku teams didn't really work out for me, they are a good deterrent, but enjoy blowing themselves up and then you have nothing.

I wonder if a third infantry platoon is the way forward, but with so much painting to do already I'm not rushing out to buy it.

Sorry for the proxy guns and primed tanks.

Winner Dave 

No comments:

Post a Comment