Monday 23 September 2013

The Road To War(fare)

Hello All

So, I'm back again with another painting challenge to get an army painted for a tournament (note to self for next year's resolutions, keep using the same army!). Firstly I need to be honest, I stole the title off of Fez-man's for his Fallschirmjager Glider army for Warfare, I hope he doesn't mind and this little plug helps smooth things over!
Anyway I'm off with Doctor Alex to a 1500pts Early War tournament in Reading at the annual Warfare convention. I have decided to go for a Soviet Tank army as this will be something completely different from my normal veteran infantry armies I have been using. Having a quick read through Rising Sun I decided that the T-26 was the tank for me mainly as it's iconic from the Winter War (well destroyed ones littering the roads of Finland anyway), but also I didn't fancy Armour 0 Tanks!

Now I have ordered a load of the Zvezda T-26's for this army. I'm not a huge fan of the models but when you have 30 odd tanks to get they are good enough for the pricing. When I get around to Early War Fin's I will use the Battlefront models as you only need 5 and I think they are much better models, but trying keep cost down on this army was a goal. After the T-26's I was a bit stuck as to what to get, I haven't played any Early War yet and my idea of Early War is either large armies of light tanks or small armies of heavy tanks with little to no infantry. I might be wrong (infact I'm sure I am) but thats the impression I get. This coupled with the fact that the Soviets get no Recon (thats right no recon!?!) left me a little suck to where to go next. After a little thinking and looking over the FOW forums I saw the potential in the Flame Tank company and so added in 10 T-26 flame tanks to my list. These guys seem like a great assault unit and give me something that I can semi reliably dig infantry out with.
The first 4 platoons.
So 4 platoons down what next? Well still a little worried about infantry the BT-7a Self Propelled Gun Battery seemed like a good buy as it has volley fire and a firepower of 3+, so six of them were added in. Only 180pts left and I'd still need to get one more platoon.... but first I decided I needed (well wanted) the I-153 Seagull air support, the model alone made it worth while adding, also it give me something that can hurt a Matilda II, maybe not a good idea to rely on it but it can hurt them. So what to spend the last few points on? Well I wanted the scout tanks but they share the same slot as the flame tanks and they seem too good not to have, so I ended up with the Portee AA as my 6th platoon, I figure this will send most of the games dug in and hiding as conscript unarmoured trucks are asking for trouble.

Confident    Conscript  Light Tankovy Batalon
Light Tank Battalion
Soviet Early-War
Tank Company
PlatoonQtyUnitPoints
Headquarters
Light Tankovy Batalon HQ p.57
1T-26 obr 1939 with Turret-rear MG40
Combat Companies
Light Tankovy Company p.57
7
1
T-26 obr 1933 or 1939
T-26 obr 1939 with Turret-rear MG
290
Light Tankovy Company p.57
7
1
T-26 obr 1933 or 1939
T-26 obr 1939 with Turret-rear MG
290
Light Tankovy Company p.57
7
1
T-26 obr 1933 or 1939
T-26 obr 1939 with Turret-rear MG
290
Weapons Companies
Flame-tank Company p.60
10KhT-26255
Self-propelled Gun Battery p.60
6BT-7A160
Anti-aircraft Machine-gun Platoon p.61
5DShK AA MG on truck85
Corps Support
Air Support p.78
3Sporadic Air Support I-15390
Company Points:1500
www.EasyArmy.comSource document: Rising Sun book

So there you have it the army, now with only 6 weeks before the event and no painted models I would normally be a little worried, but if I'm going to be honest I'm not planning on painting these to the best of my ability. I normally aim for one of two painting standards, table top standard and best of my ability, this army will aim for the former. Thats not to say I will do a bad job, but I will cut corners, rely more on washes than I normally would, at the end of the day 40 odd tanks on a nice board from a few feet away will look cool no matter what and hopefully this will be a fun new gaming experience for me using conscript tanks.

As always thanks for reading and until next time

Ben

7 comments:

  1. Quite the challenge you have set yourself, I really need to get painting !! Looking forward to seeing how they turn out ...

    Now to design my anti-russian tank list :-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anti Russian list, can I recommend a French Infantry army with no AT Guns!?! ;-)

      They are all built and I have 6 or so weeks I should be fine....

      Ben

      Delete
  2. I think with the AA portee trucks you found another useless unit :) Every list has its tweaking.....

    How do you find the cash and time for all these models?

    I look forward to seeing these 30+ tanks all together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The AA will spend 99% of the time off the trucks, it massively increases there chances of not getting killed.

      30+? try 40+! ;-)

      Delete
  3. It looks like 41 tanks total, but in your picture it does't look like 41 tanks? Did you not put them all out in the picture?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see, the 10 OT-26's are on order which makes it 41, sorry for the mix up.

      A quick update to say I was busy yesterday and got all 31 tanks base coated and highlighted. Almost feels like they are half done!

      Ben

      Delete