Tuesday 29 July 2014

The Great War - Tommies Part II - Unboxing

Back once again and today we're un-boxing some more Brits for the all new Great War range from Battlefront.

Let's start with GBR571, OQF 18 pdr
You get 2 very nice looking guns and 2 even nicer looking carriages.  I didn't have to do much the in the way of clean up and they went together well.  The only thing I found was that I had to do was use a pin vice to widen the holes in the wheels for the axle.

 Here's the crew, surprisingly these were quite a bit of work to clean up as there were lots of mould lines.
Amounts: 2,2,2,2,2
 The command crew...with our old favourite Mr Wolff...
Amounts: 1,1,1
 Good little blister pack, went together nicely.

Next up, the Whippet GBR080.  This is one cool looking vehicle.
You get a standard set of 7 MGs, but after looking at some pics I saw BF were only sticking the front and rear ones on (4 was standard armament), but with only 2 crew 2 would only really be being used.  This went together so well.  Resin body, metal tracks...great job, I imagine I'll be getting a few more of these.
 Sorry for graininess, should have paused to clean the needle.

Finally, the tank you've been waiting for...the Mark IV GBBX01.  You get 2 in a box, with enough sponsons to make both Male and Female variants.  The hull, tracks and sponsons are resin, the detailing (rails, wood, guns) are all metal.
I didn't get any magnets in my pre-production pack...that's not to say that there won't be but don't be surprised if there aren't any.  I bought some 5mm x 0.5mm magnets.  That's when I discovered that the holes in the resin side and sponsons needed a fair amount of work in order to get the magnets to fit, which was a touch frustrating, also 0.5mm thickness is too thin and I had to double up.  My tip is to buy some 4mm x 1mm magnets.  (For those of you in the UK I highly recommend Spider Magnets on eBay, fast delivery and cheap)
The rails look like they'd be hard work, but actually they stuck on without too much hassle at all.

I can't wait to paint these suckers...they are just calling out for some paint, but I'm going to discipline myself and start with the rifle platoon...these tanks will be my reward.

I just had to rescue these from the bin as I forgot all about them, the Jerry stuff is a nice touch.
Thanks for reading, hope this gets your Great War juices flowing

Dave

2 comments:

  1. Lack of magnets is disappointing but they are trying to get us to buy more darn blisters after all :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. Looking forward to Great War gaming.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete