Monday 7 October 2013

BT-7a Self-Propelled Gun Battery (SBX25) - Review

Hello All

As part of my Road to Warfare Challenge I picked up two boxes of the BT-7a Self-Propelled Gun Battery (SBX25), so I thought I'd do a little review.
So what's a BT-7a? Well it's basically the same model as the BT-7 just with a short barrel. I will be honest until I read Rising Sun I had no idea these tanks existed! Still with an army with a lack of Breakthrough Gun or high firepower I'm sure these will find a lot of use in most peoples Early War Soviet Armies.

So what do you get in the box?

In the box you get three tanks, tank crew and the add on options for the AA-MG & Rear MG. You don't get any decals or magnets which is a shame.

The kit is what you'd expect from the normal Battlefront kits but a nice difference was the gun barrels and the turret come in one piece which cut down on build time.
How easy are the models to put together?

Very! With only the tracks, the engine grill and the hatches to put on the models were very quick to put together. The cast quality was also very good so the models only needed very little cleaning (mainly between the wheels between the tracks).

It's this sort of kit that reminds me why I prefer these kits to the multi part plastic kits.
Value for money?

Mostly yes. It's £19 for 3 models which is cheaper than the normal £7.50 each. It would have been nice to have the decals and magnets but it's not the end of the world.
Overall?

Overall I will give this box set 9 out 10.

The model is nice and the casting is great Compared to a lot of metal tracks, but I do feel the kit could have had decals and magnets. I love how quick the kit was to put together and the model looks great! I can't wait to get a few Early War games in with these guys. I will be honest I enjoyed building and paint these so much I'm now planning on getting a BT-7 company at some point in the near future!

Thanks for looking Ben

1 comment: